Saturday, August 4, 2007

Anniversary Juniper

Today marks my wife's and my one year anniversary.

It was fitting then that she and I drove to our local gardening center this morning and purchased a bonsai tree for my new office. After all, it was my wife - then girlfriend - who gave me my first bonsai tree in 2003 as a housewarming gift after settling into my first apartment upon college graduation.

I am blessed to have a wife so tolerant of my inordinate interests in life.

For a grand total of $38.60, my wife and I picked out and purchased a juniper (juniperus) bonsai. Of course I had no idea what I was doing. I just thought it looked cool. However, as Erik A. Olsen points out, there are quite a few advantages to our selection.

Let us start with saying that the juniper bonsai tree is probably one of the easiest to grow, it is versatile, and has unlimited use in the sunny landscape. In addition, this type of tree provides great interest and color in the home and garden. The juniper bonsai tree offers a gift of life with an Eastern flare and has various varieties that will reach its peak of beauty the longer you own it. In addition to the Juniper having showy evergreen leaves that range from deep green to blue, it also has creamy white spring flower clusters that are quite showy, usually completely covering the plant with a slight, pleasant fragrance. A bonsai is an attractive addition to any home or garden, being popular to cut and use for flower arrangements.

Luckily for me, we chose a bonsai which can be raised indoors as well as outdoors, as I intend for this tree to live at my office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.