Friday, August 3, 2007

The Art of Bonsai

To be perfectly honest, except for what I've seen in the Karate Kid movies, I know nothing about Bonsai.

I created this blog to chronicle a possible new hobby - of which I have many. However, I have a heightened sense of intrigue about Bonsai, and I wonder how long it will last.

So what is Bonsai?

According to Wikipedia, Bonsai (pronounced bone-sigh) is "the art of aesthetic miniaturization of trees by growing them in containers."

While mostly associated with the Japanese form, "bonsai" originated in China and was originally developed from Chinese penjing. In Western culture, the word "bonsai" is used as an umbrella term for both Japanese bonsai, Chinese penjing (盆景), and Korean bunjae (분재).

(Japanese: 盆栽, literally "potted plant". Chinese: 盆景; Pinyin: pén jǐng; literally "tray scenery")

In my admitted ignorance on the subject, I was always under the impression that a "bonsai tree" was a specific kind of tree. Not so.

Rather, bonsai is an art.

The art form is believed by some to have been derived from the practice of transporting medicinal plants in containers by healers.

I have so much to learn.

No comments: